Privacy & cookies
NZBS collects and retains personal information about you as a result of you using the Site (www.nzblood.co.nz) , posting User Content, making a blood donation or signing up to be a blood donor.
- We do not collect identifiable information about you if you only browse our website.
- We do not collect personal information on this site unless you choose to give it to us.
- Where you voluntarily provide personal information (e.g. through online/physical forms or email requests), we are required as a minimum to hold your personal information as directed under the Privacy Act 1993. The Privacy Act 1993 regulates us through the Information Privacy Principles as to how we collect, use, hold, disclose, access, correct, manage and dispose of your personal information.
- Some information (e.g. site browsing patterns) is automatically retrieved while visiting our site. Please be assured that in the event that any personal information is sourced we only use this information in aggregate form so that no effort is made to identify individual visitors.
Use and disclosure:
- The personal information is used by NZBS for the following purposes:
- To operate, administer and improve the Site;
- To confirm against NZBS or other records that you have received blood components or blood products in New Zealand;
- To assess your eligibility to give blood;
- To communicate with you about your blood donation;
- To communicate with you for any purpose relating to the Site in connection with the Terms;
- For general marketing or publicity for the purpose of recruiting blood donors and promotion of NZBS (this includes utilising social media channels);
- To enforce its rights under the Terms.
- For the purpose for which you supplied it or, in exceptional situations, for other reasons permitted under the Privacy Act 1993.
- We generally do not share your personal information with others unless this is necessary for the purpose for which you gave us the information. Occasionally the law may require us to disclose it (for instance to investigate a criminal offence), or there may be safety reasons for disclosing it.
- We analyse non-identifiable web traffic data to improve our services.
Your Rights and Choices:
- Information provided will be held by New Zealand Blood Service.
- We are happy to provide you with access to any personal information that we hold about you. If it is wrong, please ask us to correct it. To ask for access and correction, please contact the New Zealand Blood Service Privacy Officer using the details below.
NZBS has security cameras (commonly known as CCTV) installed at some of its facilities. These cameras are capable of recording images 24 hours a day. Security camera operation is being carried out in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
This notice serves to keep the public informed about the operation and purpose of these security cameras.
Security cameras have been installed for the following purposes:
- For the purpose of detecting and potentially deterring unlawful activity, e.g. within risk areas such as laboratories, car parks, other outdoor areas.
- To provide records to enhance security and enable individuals to be identified in relation to a particular breach of security.
- For the safety of staff, e.g. to determine the wellbeing of staff members working in a liquid nitrogen storage or other hazardous area.
- To enhance customer service and safety for instance to monitor the presence of people in an area, e.g. a donor waiting area, logistics area.
- To enable staff to verify contractors seeking access out of normal hours e.g. Courier drivers
Where possible NZBS has endeavoured to use cameras that are triggered by movement and avoid intrusive camera locations.
Security and storage of images
- Where cameras are being used for the purposes of safety and security images may be recorded.
- Recorded images will be securely stored for a maximum of three months and then destroyed unless required for the purpose of further investigation or prosecution.
- Access to recorded images is restricted to authorised personnel who have been approved by Area Managers responsible for site security.
- Non-recorded images may be monitored by authorised personnel who have been approved by Area Managers responsible for site security.
Use of images
- The intended purpose of recording images is to provide evidence in the event that unlawful activity is detected.
Disclosure of images and complaints
- Police may ask for images to assist with investigation of unlawful activity. Images may be disclosed for this purpose.
- Disclosure to any other parties requires the consent of any identifiable individuals in the images, unless covered by an exemption in the Privacy Act.
- Individuals may request copies of footage containing images of themselves. In some circumstances the request may not be granted, e.g. if it compromises the privacy of another individual.
- All disclosures must be discussed with and approved by the NZBS Privacy Officer.
- Any complaint about the CCTV will be forwarded to the NZBS Privacy Officer and managed in accordance with NZBS Complaints Management Policy.
Contact The Privacy Officer:
- Personal information collected from or about you for the above purposes will be retained by NZBS in its database. NZBS will not share any private information with any other person without your prior permission. You have the right to access any personal information and to correct or delete any personal information from the database. You can do this by sending an email or letter request to:
The Privacy Officer
New Zealand Blood Service
Private Bag 92071
Victoria Street West
- This website places a cookie on the hard drive of your computer.
- A cookie is a file which allows NZBS to track and target the interests of users, and serve ads based on your prior visits to this website.
- While we recommend that users enable cookies on their browsers in order to enjoy all the features of the site, the decision remains in the hands of the individual. (The management of cookies will be different depending on each users PC refer to your browser help menu for further information).
Terms and Copyright page:http://www.nzblood.co.nz/footer/accessibility-2/ (external link)
Back to top