Before you donate blood
Please ensure that you:
- Wait until you are fully recovered from a cough, cold or sore throat - what may mildly affect you, could seriously harm a patient.
- Ensure you have eaten during the four hours prior to donation and drink lots of water or fruit juice before coming in to donate. This will reduce the possibility of you experiencing after-effects from donating (e.g. fainting) and will assist in a better blood flow at the time of donation.
- Bring appropriate ID with you.
- If you have given blood before, please bring in your blood donor card with you every time you donate. This will save you time because the card contains your personal donor identification number which enables the Blood Service to access your records quickly.
- Or please bring a document or a combination of documents, which contains three (3) unique points of personal information. These can be: full name, photograph, date of birth, home address, workplace (work ID cards only) or school (school ID cards only).