Am I eligible
- New donors are accepted from their 16th birthday up to their 66th birthday
- Existing/Regular donors are accepted up to their 71st birthday
- Regular donors from 71st to their 76th birthday may be accepted subject to authorisation by a NZBS Medical Officer (please enquire at your next donation if you fall within these age limits).
- Weigh at least 50kg.
- You must be in good health at the time you donate.
- You cannot donate if you have a cold, flu, sore throat, cold sore, stomach bug or any other infection.
- If you have recently had a tattoo or body piercing you cannot donate for 6 months from the date of the procedure. (See the Detailed Eligibility Criteria & FAQs for more details under "Tattoo" or "Body Piercing".)
- If you have visited the dentist for a minor procedure you must wait 24 hours before donating; for major work wait a month.
- You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more.
- You must have eaten some food during the four hours prior to donation
- You must bring appropriate identification with you each time you donate.
- Acceptable ID is a document or a combination of documents, which contains three (3) unique points of personal information. These can be: full name, photograph, date of birth, home address, donor ID/registration number, workplace (work ID cards only) or school (school ID cards only).
- Personal Identification and Blood Donations
More information on eligibility to donate:
- Detailed Eligibility Criteria & FAQs on whether you are eligible to donate blood.
- Common reasons for Deferral on common reasons why you may not be able to donate blood.
You may need to download Adobe Reader to view the PDF files. It is available free from the Adobe site.