Am I eligible
- New donors are accepted from their 16th birthday up to their 66th birthday.
- Existing/Regular donors are accepted up to their 71st birthday.
- Regular donors from 71st to their 76th birthday may be accepted subject to authorisation by a NZBS Medical Officer (please enquire at your next donation if you fall within these age limits).
- Weigh at least 50kg.
- First time donors must also meet height and weight criteria. Find out if you meet the height and weight criteria by using our handy calculator.
- You must be in good health at the time you donate.
- You cannot donate if you have a cold, flu, sore throat, cold sore, stomach bug or any other infection.
- If you have recently had a tattoo or body piercing you cannot donate for 6 months from the date of the procedure. (See the Detailed Eligibility Criteria for more details under "Tattoo" or "Body Piercing".)
- If you have visited the dentist for a minor procedure you must wait 24 hours before donating; for major work wait a month.
- You must not have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more. Find out why here.
- Travel to areas where tropical diseases are endemic, e.g. malaria, may result in a temporary deferral but this will depend on a number of factors so please check the "Donating after Travelling" tool to find out when you can donate.
- You must have eaten some food during the four hours prior to donation.
- You must bring appropriate identification with you each time you donate.
- Acceptable ID is a document or a combination of documents, which contains three (3) unique points of personal information. These can be: full name, photograph, date of birth, home address, donor ID/registration number, workplace (work ID cards only) or school (school ID cards only).
More information on eligibility to donate:
You may need to download Adobe Reader to view the PDF files. It is available free from the Adobe site (external link) .
Back to top