|Alloantibody investigation||2 x 6 ml EDTA|
|ABO / Rh grouping problem||6 ml EDTA|
|Extended RBC phenotype||6 ml EDTA|
|Autoimmune haemolytic anaemia / positive DAT||2 x 6 ml EDTA|
|Transfusion reaction investigation|| |
6 ml EDTA pre transfusion sample
6 ml EDTA post transfusion sample
Giving set / remnants of transfused unit(s)
|Compatibility testing||6 ml EDTA|
|Haemolytic disease of the newborn (HDN)||4 ml or 6 ml EDTA cord blood sample|
|Paternal phenotyping||6 ml EDTA|
|All other investigations contact the Reference Laboratory|
- Samples should be collected and labelled in accordance with the ANZSBT 'Guidelines For Pretransfusion Testing’ particularly if blood is likely to be required for transfusion.
- Labelling of samples should correspond to the details provided on the request form.
- The following information should be included with samples:
- Full address for correspondence
- Indication of urgency
- Copies of worksheets with results of tests already performed
- Samples should be shipped at ambient temperature to arrive at Reference Laboratory within 24 hours of collection.
- Urgent samples may be sent by courier ensuring door-to-door delivery.
- Samples must be safely packaged in accordance with national and international postal and/or IATA regulations.